Tóm tắt bài
1. Before You Listen Unit 5 Lớp 12
Work in pairs. Talk about the problems you may have when studying in a new school.
(Làm việc theo cặp. Hãy thảo luận về vấn đề em có thể gặp khi học ở trường mới.)
Guide to answer
- A. Just imagine you’re studying at a new school. What problems may you get?
- B. Well. First, I feel lonely and homesick. I have no familiar people, especially living far from home.
- A. It’s a natural fact. What other problems can you encounter?
- B. I think the matter of accommodation also makes me anxious. I have to find a proper lodging place if I can’t live in the school dormitory.
- A. And the next?
- B. I have to adjust to the new life and the new school activities. But I think with time I can manage to get over it.
- A. OK. With strong will and patience everything can be settled.
- B. It’s my opinion, too.
2. While You Listen Unit 5 Lớp 12
Listen to the conversation between John and David and circle the best option (A, B, C or D) to complete the following sentences.
(Lắng nghe đoạn hội thoại giữa John và David, sau đó khoanh tròn đáp án A, B, C hoặc D đề hoàn thành các câu sau)
1. David used to be………………………………..
A. an international student
B. a tutor at the university
C. a student at the university
D. a lecturer at the university
2. In his department,………………………………..
A. many students came from other countries
B. some students came from other countries
C. the international students did not like the course
D. the international students did not study well
3. David thinks the most important thing for the international students is………………..
A. not to be shy to talk to other students
B. to make an appointment with local students
C. to make full use of the tutors and lecturers
D. not to tell anyone their problems
4. David advises the international students to……………at the beginning of the course.
A. find out when the tutor is available for tutorial appointments
B. make full use of their friends
C. share studying experiences with local students
D. know as much as they can about the university
5. In order to deal with the long reading lists David advises the international students to ……………….
A. read all the items on the reading list
B. read the most important items on the reading list
C. find out the most important reading list
D. ask local students for the most important reading list
Guide to answer
3. After You Listen Unit 5 Lớp 12
Work in pairs. Ask and answer the question
(Làm việc theo cặp. Hỏi và trả lời câu hỏi)
“Would you prefer to do an undergraduate course abroad or in your country?” Explain you choice.
(Em muốn học đại học trong nước hay nước ngoài? Hãy giải thích sự lựa chọn của em.)
Guide to answer
- Dialogue 1
A. Would you like to do an undergraduate course abroad or in your country?
B. I would like to do an undergraduate course in my country.
B. Because my English is not very good and I cannot afford tuition fees and accommodation for studying oversea.
- Dialogue 2
A. Where do you like lo do your undergraduate course, abroad or in your country?
B. If you ask me, I prefer to do it abroad.
B. In the present situation, most of the universities in the country are behind those in developed countries: such as the US, Australia, Singapore, Germany, etc,…
A. Can you give me clearer explanations?
B. OK. For example, the teaching aids in the schools: laboratories, equipment and specially libraries. Most of our laboratories are lack of modern equipment. Next, the size of classes, the number of students in each class is very large. I mean the classes are often very crowded. usually over 60 or more. Don’t you realize the noticeable problem in our universities?
B. What’s that? Do you refer to the methods of teaching of most of professors and lecturers?
A. That’s it. Most of them still use the old and obsolete way of teaching: “Professors read and students listen and write down.” Rarely can a student ask his / her professor a question. And this makes it worse, hardly ever can a class discussion be seen in most of our universities.
B. What’s wrong with it?
A. Oh! How can such a one-way method help students to develop their creativity and even their independent work?
B. Sorry. I didn’t know any about it!
4. Tapescript Listening Unit 5 Lớp 12
The conversation between John and David
- John : Now David, can I get this right: You’ve just completed a MSc course on which a large proportion of the students were international students. Is that right?
- David: That’s it. Yes, I was in AERD, that’s the department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development.
- John: And how do you think the students from other countries got along on that course?
- David: Pretty well.
- John : What advice would you give students, particularly international students, based on your experience as a student here?
- David : I think the most basic thing is to make use, full use, of the tutors and lecturers. Maybe some of the overseas students are a bit too shy to take questions or problems to tutors.
- John : What do you think they should do?
- David : I think they should find out at the beginning of the course the time at which the tutor is going to be available for tutorial appointments and then make full use of them.
- John: So, any problems, they should tell the tutor as soon as possible? Let’s move on, what about the amount of reading that you have to do as a university student?
- David : Yes. It looks pretty daunting al first, with those long reading lists. Don’t think that the students have to read everything that’s listed. Try to find out which are the most important items on the list – ask the lecturer or tutor if necessary, and then, if your time is limited, spending it reading those books thoroughly.
- John: OK, that’s very helpful, David. Thank you very much.
- David : No, not at all.