Tóm tắt bài
1. Unit 3 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 1
Practise reading these dialogues, paying attention to how people give and respond to compliments in each situation. (Hãy thực hành đọc các bài đối thoại, chú ý đến cách khen và đáp lại lời khen trong từng tình huống)
a. Phil: You really have a beautiful blouse, Barbara, I’ve never seen such a perfect thing on you.
Barbara: Thank you, Phil. That’s a nice compliment.
b. Peter: Your hairstyle is terrific, Cindy!
Cindy: Thanks, Peter. I think I’ve finally found a style that looks decent and is easy to handle.
c. Tom: I thought your tennis game was a lot better today, Tony.
Tony: You’ve got to be kidding! I thought it was terrible.
2. Unit 3 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 2
Work with a partner. Practise giving compliments to suit the responses. Use the cues below. (Làm việc với một bạn học. Thực hành khen ngợi sao cho phù hợp với lời đáp lại. Dùng các gợi ý bên dưới.)
a. David: _____________________________________________________ (dress)
Kathy: I’m glad you like it. I bought it at a shop near my house a few days ago.
b. Hung:__________________________________________________ (motorbike)
Hien: Thanks, Hung. I think I’ve finally found the colour that suits me.
c. Michael: ______________________________________________ . (badminton)
Colin: You must be kidding! I thought the same was terrible.
Guide to answer
- David : You look really nice with your dress, Kathy!/ That dress looks lovely on you./ Your new dress is very pretty, Kathy!
- Hung : Your motorbike is certainly unique. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this before!/ Wow, your motorbike is terrific!
- Michael: I didn’t know you could play badminton so well!
3. Unit 3 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 3
Work in pairs. Practise responding to the complishments below. (Làm việc theo cặp. Thực hành đáp lại lời khen ngợi dưới đây.)
a. Phil: You’re a great dancer, Huong. I wish I could do half as well as you.
b. Peter: I didn’t know you could play the guitar so well, Toan. Your time was lovely!
c. Tom: Your English is better than many Americans, Hanh. I really enjoy your public speaking.
Guide to answer
You: (accept) Thanks, Phil. That’s very nice of you to say so.
(reject) You’ve got to be kidding! I am an awful dancer!
You: (accept) Thank you, Peter. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
(reject) You must be kidding. I thought it was terrible!
You: (accept) Thanks. That’s a nice compliment, but sometimes I think I’m not so good at all.
(reject) You have got to be kidding. I thought it was terrible!
4. Unit 3 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 4
Work with a partner. Make dialogues to practise giving and responding to compliments, using the cues below. (Làm việc với một bạn cùng học.Thực hiện các cuộc đối thoại để thực hành khen và đáp lại những câu khen, dùng những từ gợi ý dưới đây.)
- a nice pair of glasses (một cặp kính đẹp)
- a new and expensive watch (một chiếc đồng hồ mới đắt tiền)
- a new cell phone (một chiếc điện thoại di động mới)
- a modern – looking pair of shoes (một đôi giày mang phong cách hiện đại)
- a fashionable jacket (một chiếc áo khoác hợp thời trang)
Guide to answer
a. A: That’s such a nice pair of glasses you have on! I almost don’t recognize you.
B: Thanks. I take that as a nice compliment, I guess.
b. C. I really like your new watch!
D. Really? That’s nice of you to notice it.
c. E. I do like your cell phone. Is it new?
F. Thank you. I got it for my birthday last week.
d. G. Your new shoes are nice!
H. I hate them. I think they look kind of funny on my feet.
e. I. Your new jacket is very fashionable and lovely!
K. Oh! Thank you. I got it yesterday.
5. Remember for Unit 3 Lớp 12 Speaking
Remember how to give and respond the compliments
|Skills or talents
(Khả năng làm việc)
I’ve been practising everyday.
Bài tập minh họa
Put the following suitable compliments into the correct types: Compliment on appearance/ skills or talents/ work accomplished/ possession.
1. Dialogue 1
- You look really nice tonight, Vicki!
- No, I don’t. I look as awful as I feel!
2. Dialogue 2
- What a great car!
- Really? That’s nice of you do say so!
3. Dialogue 3
- The cake was so delicious!
- Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it.
4. Dialogue 4
- Your hairstyle is quite attractive, Cindy!
- Do you really like it, Tom? I wasn’t too sure about it yesterday when I had done.
5. Dialogue 5
- Joe, your backhand is getting stronger every time every day, and I’m pleased you can see sn improvement.
- You must be kidding! I though it was terrible!
6. Dialogue 6
- You did a fine job on the room, Mike. I don’t think I’ve seen it that clean!
- Oh, it was nothing. I’m glad I could help.
Compliment on appearance: Dialogue 1, Dialogue 4
Compliment on skills or talents: Dialogue 5
Compliment on work accomplished: Dialogue 3, Dialogue 6
Compliment on possession: Dialogue 2