Tóm tắt bài
Rhythm (Ngữ điệu)
Modals in the passive voice
(Động từ khiếm khuyết trong câu bị động)
|The passive form||modal + be + V-ed/III|
|The past – passive form||modal + have been + V-ed/III|
- Ví dụ minh họa
- Tom will be invited to the party.
- The window can’t be opened.
- The letter should have been sent last week.
Unit 11 Language Focus Exercise 1
Rewrite the sentences in the passive.
(Viết lại các câu ở thể bị động.)
- You mustn’t use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
- You must clean this machine every time you use it.
- You should keep the flower in a warm sunny place.
- You should pay your bill before you leave the hotel
- You should give us the information now.
- You can buy toothpaste at the drug store.
- We should warn the children not to speak to strangers.
- Nobody can solve the mystery.
- You can exchange travellers’ cheques at most banks.
- You shouldn’t tell her the news. It might kill her.
Guide to answer
- This machine mustn’t be used after 5.30 pm.
- This machine must be cleaned every time it is used.
- The flowers should be kept in a warm sunny place.
- Your bill should be paid before you leave the hotel.
- The information should be given to us now.
- Toothpaste can be bought at the drugstore.
- Children should be warned not to speak to strangers.
- The mystery can’t be solved.
- Travellers’ cheques may be exchanged at most banks.
- The news shouldn’t be told to her. She might be killed.
Unit 11 Language Focus Exercise 2
Following is a conversation between two characters in a science fiction about space travel. Complete it with the suitable passive form of the verb in brackets.
(Dưới đây là đoạn hội thoại giữa hai nhân vật trong khoa học viễn tưởng về du hành vũ trụ. Hoàn thành nó với động từ ở dạng bị động.)
Naomi: Dr. Kay. I’d like to ask how meals (1. will/prepare)………..in the Space Station ………food (2. be going to/cook)………..on board or taken in the form of tablets?
Dr. Kay: Neither. Gourmet meals (3. will/pre-package) …………….on Earth then they (4. can/warm up)…………………on board.
Naomi: But the tourists will be from different parts of the world. How…………….food (5. should/choose) …………..to suit everyone’s taste?
Dr. Kay:An international menu (6. have to/offer)………………Food (7. could/select) ………..from food preference forms that tourists completed before the trip. And meals (8. ought to/make)…………….as pleasant as possible.
Guide to answer
- will be prepared
- Is food going to be cooked…?
- will be pre-packaged
- can be warmed up
- should food be chosen?
- has to be offered
- could be selected
- ought to be made
Bài tập minh họa
Put the following into the passive voice. Do not mention the agent unless it seems necessary.
- You should open the wine about three hours before you use it.
- We shall have to tow the car to the garage.
- Visitors must leave umbrellas and sticks in the cloakroom.
- They ought to have reported the accident to the police.
- You should have taken those books back to the library.
- The wine shoud be opened about three hours before it is used.
- The car shall have to be towed to the garage.
- Umbrellas and sticks must be left in the cloakroom.
- The accident ought to have been reported to the police.
- Those books should have been taken back to the library.