- Execise 1: Error Identification.
Although men may know more about diapering babies and vacuuming floors than his father did, but women are still doing most of housework and child rearing.
- A. may know
- B. diapering
- C. but women
- D. child rearing
Câu 2:When men and women are asked who is spending long hours cleaning and tidy up, women are still far ahead of men.
- A. When
- B. are asked
- C. tidy
- D. ahead up
Câu 3:In 2006, 87.9 per cent of men said they shared housework from their wives, up from 84.4 per cent in 1996.
- A. 87.9 per cent
- B. shared
- C. from
- D. up from
The proportion of women spend 30 hours a week or more on unpaid housework fell to 19.8 per cent in 2006 from 24.6 per cent in 1996.
- A. proportion
- B. spend
- C. on
- D. fell on
According to a 2005 report from Statistics Canada, men spent 2.5 hours a day on unpaid work around the house, as soon as women averaged 4.3 hours.
- A. According to
- B. Statistics Canada
- C. a day
- D. as soon as
- Exercise 2: Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
A trend in women’s change in attitude to work and home life roles has launched because more and more women begin to feel the stress and exhaustion when they play multiple roles.
The image for women of the 1950s was the domesticated housewife and mother who cooked, cleaned, and sewed. The vogue woman of today is proud while possessing the role as career woman and mother, wife, and domestic organizer. Yet, the main thing that has really changed for the modern woman is the fact that her workload has doubled from the duality of her role. The effects of this duality are being felt through stress, and unfairness.
A recent study has shown that that 68% of women see a conflict between working and raising a family. It is no wonder since large amounts of stress stem from a woman’s professional career in collaboration with her role as housekeeper and mother. A study in 1997 by the Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology found said, “Stress appears to be strongly related to being employed outside found said, “Stress appears to be strongly related to being employed outside the home and is more strongly felt by women working more hours, especially those working full-time.” The 2001 U.S. Current Population Survey found that many women wish to have fewer office hours. More and more women want to cut work hours because they find it difficult to take care of household responsibilities while maintaining a career. The Female Lifestyle Survey of Great Britain 2004 found that 86% of full time working women did most of the housework and 77% did most of the child rearing, which; has made them quite exhausted.
The text is about _______.
- A. women’s difficulties when they have to work both outside and at home
- B. women’s stress caused by her children
- C. women’s exhaustion caused by her boss
- D. women’s preference of multiple roles
Being both a career woman and domestic organizer makes women ____.
- A. happy and independent
- B. proud and exciting
- C. vogue and wonderful
- D. stressed and exhausted
Which idea is not referred in the text?
- A. There have been several studies’ and surveys on women and their roles.
- B. Many women realize a conflict between working and raising a family.
- C. All women can do well with their roles both at home and at work.
- D. Stress stems from a woman’s professional career and her roles as a housekeeper and mother.
The writer _______.
- A. advised women to quit their jobs and stay at home for childrearing
- B. described the situations that working women suffered from stress and exhaustion
- C. conducted several surveys on women and their work
- D. objected to the fact that women worked outside the home
Câu 10:Women _______.
- A. want to have less work hours
- B. want to have more work hours
- C. do not want to do housework any more
- D. do not want to join social activities
- Exercise 3: Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one.
More and more women have become _______ and do research on many fields as men do.
- A. science
- B. scientific
- C. scientifically
- D. scientists
It is __ that changes women’s lives and the perception of women’s roles.
- A. educate
- B. education
- C. educational
- D. educated
They are designing a new program to help businesswomen with an attempt to promote _______ growth.
- A. employ
- B. employer
- C. employee
- D. employment
UNESCO was established to encourage _______ among nations in the areas of education, science, culture, and communication.
- A. employment
- B. collaboration
- C. workforce
- D. independence
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), was established = _______ in 1946.
- A. set up
- B. taken off
- C. put away
- D. run up
More and more women are now joining = _______ the paid labor force worldwide.
- A. putting away from
- B. keeping up with
- C. taking part in
- D. making room for
UNESCO hopes to encourage universal respect for justice, laws, human _______, and fundamental freedoms.
- A. rights
- B. projects
- C. programs
- D. protests
UNESCO has its _______ in Paris, France, and operates educational, scientific, and cultural programs and exchanges from 60 field offices worldwide.
- A. shelters
- B. houses
- C. homes
- D. headquarters
As soon as Mary _______, she _______ to her hometown.
- A. graduates / will return
- B. will be graduating / has returned
- C. will graduate / returns
- D. graduated / had returned
Câu 20:Stay here _______.
- A. since I came back
- B. until I come back
- C. when I will come back
- D. as soon as I was coming back
I _______ all the preparations before you _______ home tonight.
- A. have made / will have come
- B. am making / came
- C. will make I will come
- D. will have made / come
____ the office staff learned about Jones’s promotion, they threw her a party.
- A. Before
- B. When
- C. By the time
- D. Since
John has not phoned us _______ he left the city.
- A. after
- B. until
- C. since
- D. as
David was crossing the street _______ a truck turned round at the corner and nearly hit him.
- A. by the time
- B. as far as
- C. till
- D. when
Câu 25:As soon as Mary _______, she _______ to her hometown.
- A. graduates / will return
- B. will graduate / returns
- C. will be graduating / has returned
- D. graduated / had returned
Cùng bài học: