- Exercise 1: From the four words or phrases – a, b, c or d – choose the one that best completes the sentence.
_____, that runner is likely to be the first one chosen.
- A. Because agile and rapid
- B. Although she is agile and fast
- C. Due to her agility and speed
- D. Despite her agility and speed
Câu 2:This information _____ to great many people.
- A. has proved useful
- B. has proved it useful
- C. has been proved to be useful
- D. was proved to be useful
The store _______.
- A. that had the big sale went recently bankrupt
- B. that had the big recently sale went bankrupt
- C. that had the recently big sale went bankrupt
- D. that recently had the big sale went bankrupt
_____ all data into electronic pulses.
- A. The computer input unit changes
- B. Changing input, the computer unit
- C. Which changes the computer input unit
- D. Changes in the computer input units
_____ together in one place, they form a community.
- A. When people who live
- B. When people living
- C. Whenever people live
- D. Whenever living people
- Exercise 2: Choose the sentence – a, b, c or d – which is closest in meaning to the printed one.
Sam emphasized the importance of being thoughtful toward one another.
- A. Sam said that people should not talk too much.
- B. Sam said that people should not be too serious.
- C. Sam said that people should consider the feelings of others.
- D. Sam said that people should discuss intellectual topics.
Câu 7:He looked so funny that I couldn’t help laughing.
- A. I couldn’t laugh because he looked so funny.
- B. I laughed because he looked so funny.
- C. I couldn’t help him laugh because he looked so funny.
- D. He looked too funny for me to laugh.
On their trip to Newcastle, John and Bill took turn driving.
- A. The boys took a wrong turn during the trip.
- B. The boys divided the driving time.
- C. Bill did most of the driving during the trip.
- D. John drove Bill to Newcastle.
Jim came down with flu and had to stay in.
- A. Jim came down and then had to stay home with flu.
- B. Jim had to stay home because he had flu.
- C. Jim had to stay home in case he caught flu.
- D. Jim came down to stay with flu.
It’s high time the children went to bed.
- A. The children went to bed late.
- B. The children went to bed because of the high time.
- C. It’s too late for the children to go to bed.
- D. It’s time for the children to go to bed.
We are now completely out of thermal socks.
- A. There is one pair of thermal socks left.
- B. There isn’t any pair of thermal socks left.
- C. We no longer wear thermal socks.
- D. We don’t sell thermal socks.
Their chances of success are small.
- A. It’s very likely that they will succeed.
- B. They will definitely be successful.
- C. It’s not very likely that they will succeed.
- D. They won’t have any chance of being successful.
Their problems are all self-inflicted.
- A. All of their problems are well worth considering.
- B. They don’t cause their own problems.
- C. They are thinking about their problems.
- D. Their problems are of their own making.
The patient recovered more rapidly than expected.
- A. The patient didn’t recover as fast as expected.
- B. The patient made a more rapid recovery than expected.
- C. The patient recovered more slowly than expected.
- D. The patient didn’t get well as expected.
‘If you don’t apologize immediately, I’m leaving,’ she told him.
- A. She told him not to apologize immediately.
- B. She asked him to apologize immediately as she was leaving.
- C. She threatened to leave unless he apologized immediately.
- D. She warned him not to apologize; otherwise, she was leaving.